Does Installing a Steel Post Against the Party Wall Invoke The Act?

by: The Party Wall Surveyor


I live in a mid-terrace house, and am looking to knock out the internal wall that separates the sitting and dining rooms.

My structural engineer has advised two options. One is that we can replace the wall with an RSJ which will be supported within the party wall. This is the neatest solution, however my neghbours are causing complications, and may want a surveyor appointed.

The second option is to support the RSJ with two posts constructed inside my property against the wall – would this also require Party wall consent?


Consent would only be required if either of the posts were connected to the party wall or were to be built off a new foundation which is deeper than the existing foundations to the party wall.