The Registered Owner of the House Next Door Died 10 Years Ago

by: The Party Wall Surveyor


I have a problem, which I hope you can resolve. The registered owner of the house next door has been dead for over 10 years. The house is still registered in his name, for some reason his wife never put it on her name.

Who do I serve the notice to?


As there is some confusion of ownership I recommend that you follow the procedure laid down in section 15(2) of the Party Wall Act.

Address the notice to ‘The Owner’ and either hand deliver it to an occupant or if nobody is living there fix it to a conspicuous part of the premises (normally the front door). If you choose the later I’d recommend that you take a photograph of the notice at both close range and further back to show that you have followed the proper procedures.