Do I Need a Party Wall Agreement to Change my Roof Covering?

by: The Party Wall Surveyor


I live in a 3 bedroomed semi-detached property and, unfortunately, need a new roof as due to age and wear and tear, it is unlikely to see me through another winter. As it is a semi-detached property, do I need a party wall agreement?

I do, of course, intend to notify my neighbour as a matter of courtesy. However, I wondered if I needed a formal Party Wall Agreement?


A change of roof covering will not come within the scope of the Party Wall Act so no agreement is required.

However, the work may well require Building Regulation consent so I would suggest that you check with the Building Control department at your local planning office.