We are intending to build the Wall of our new Extension alongside the Neighbour’s Fence, entirely on our Land. What Section of the Act is Applicable?

by: The Party Wall Surveyor


My garden and my neighbours garden is separated by a fence. We are intending to build the wall of our new extension alongside this fence, entirely on our land, without removing the fence. On the neighbours side of the fence, there is garden (not buildings). What section of the Act is applicable?


You will need to issue a Line of Junction notice if your wall is being built up to the boundary (but wholly on your own land) or if the foundations to the proposed wall project beyond the boundary.  If the fence is on the boundary then I assume your wall will be set back slightly from the boundary so no notice will be required.