The Houses Either Side of us are Divided into Two flats. How Many Notices do I Serve?

by: The Party Wall Surveyor


We live in a terraced house. The houses either side of us have been divided into two flats each, with the freeholds being owned by a housing association. In this situation, do we need 4 party wall agreements to be drawn up because there are 4 properties, or only 2 because there are only 2 freeholds – or even only 1 because there is only one owner?


It is likely that 2 notices will be required, one each for the Freeholders on either side, even though it is the same Housing Association (you can post them in the same envelope but they should be separate notices).

The exception would be if the flats were in leasehold ownership and the leaseholder was someone other than the Housing Association – unlikely but you can check on the Land registry website