Party Wall Advice

Taylor Mitchell are Chartered Surveyors based in Cambridge. We offer residential surveying services throughout Cambridgeshire but also cover parts of Essex and Hertfordshire including the towns of Saffron Walden, Stanstead and Bishops Stortford.

We provide a range of surveying services including party wall advice and RICS Home Surveys. If you are in the process of purchasing a property, we can prepare both Level 2 (Homebuyer) and Level 3 (Building Survey) reports. Please call us on 01799 543532 to discuss which would be most suitable.

This page is where we answer party wall questions from the owners of Cambridgeshire properties. You will find over a hundred such queries below relating to party wall surveyors, fees, notices and party wall awards covering every type of dispute. You are welcome to submit a query via

Question Our neighbours have already started work on a side extension (single storey), foundations have been laid. The foundations come very close to/abut the boundary line. This is approx. 1.4m from the side of our house. We received notification that building was due to start the day before the builders arrived. We have not received any ... Read more >>

Question I have issued my neighbour with two Party Wall Notices for my planned single story kitchen extension which is  2.5 metres away from my neighbour's property, first notice giving one months notice under section 1 - building up to the boundary line and second notice under section 6 excavating within 3 metres of a neighbouring building, as ... Read more >>

Question We live in a terraced house. The houses either side of us have been divided into two flats each, with the freeholds being owned by a housing association. In this situation, do we need 4 party wall agreements to be drawn up because there are 4 properties, or only 2 because there are only 2 freeholds - or even only 1 because there is only ... Read more >>

Categories: Adjoining Owners, Notices

Question I live in a converted house with a ground floor flat (which I own) and 1st floor flat (owned by my neighbour). We both own a share of the freehold. I would like to remove a chimney breast inside of my flat which lies on the Party Wall. The house next door is also a converted house. My next door neighbours own their flats but are ... Read more >>

Question We have planning permission to build a side extension onto our property, which is currently approx 80cm away from the 2m high party/boundary wall with our neighbours' garden.  Their house is then approx 1.5m away from this boundary wall.  We are still discussing with our neighbours whether to use the party wall or build our own wall ... Read more >>

Question My neighbours are building a loft extension and as part of this have started to add to the Party Wall (currently an additional 4 bricks high, but I imagine will be more). Should they have consulted me under the Party Wall Act before they started this work ? Answer You should have been served with a party wall notice 2 months before ... Read more >>

Categories: Adjoining Owners, Notices

Question I plan to build a single storey rear extension right up to my neighbour's two storey extension side wall, which consists of a cavity wall (blocks on the inner wall, bricks on the outer) that has been built up to the party line.   I hope to construct using a single block wall sat on its own foundations, and use insulation between it and ... Read more >>

Categories: Adjoining Owners, Notices